Thomas Histon, July 20 to July 26, 2020

Weekly Log

 

What week does this log cover? Monday, July 20th – Sunday, July 26th   

 

1)      Please describe any significant events that occurred this week and what you think about them

My grandfather had a stroke this week. He is doing better, but he is still in the hospital and no one is allowed to see him. The hospital is granting us some access to him, like putting a phone in his room, and allowing us to send him books and things of that nature. I understand why the hospital system deems it necessary to not allow any visitors, and I am glad for it. Of course, selfishly I would love to see him. Hospitals are an incredibly depressing environment (in my opinion, which my grandfather shares), and I can’t even imagine being in one alone for days.

 

2)      Were there any significant changes between this week and last week?

We have exercised great caution when visiting my grandparents for the past few months. We only meet outside, we stay six feet apart, and we take special precautions to not touch one another. That caution has been thrown out of the window in the past days. Obviously the more pressing issue was my grandfather having a stroke, so my uncle had to get close to him and hold him and help EMS get him into the ambulance, but aside from that, a lot of my extended family has been coming to visit my grandmother.

My grandmother has intense dementia, so we worry about her being by herself. My uncles (one of whom lives out of state), my mother, my sister, and myself have all been individually spending the night with her to make sure she eats, takes her medicine, and does not wander off. So, we have thrown all precaution out the window. It seems necessary, and it has been two weeks since I had any substantial interaction with anyone outside of my family, so I can say with relative confidence I do not have the virus, but I do not know where my uncles have been. Of course, I cannot begrudge them, I feel like making sure my grandmother is safe is worth the risk of spreading the virus to us, but it still makes me nervous.

Comments