Cameron Pate-Addie, July 13 to July 19

Monday: Effective this morning, face masks are required in the city of Greenwood. There is something else I want to add. There seems to be a divide among teachers, at least from what I have seen, in regard to going back to school. Some really do not want to and are worried, but others seem ok with it. It would be interesting how schools and teachers were affected and handled the 1918 pandemic. Some research needs to be done to see the connections between then and now. 

 

Tuesday: Face masks are required in the city of Aiken, South Carolina. An email was sent out to the Lander student body. So, face masks will be required to be worn while in classrooms and other certain spaces. I am fully onboard for this! As someone who has worn a mask for the majority of this pandemic at work it does not bother me at all. I fully believe that there is enough evidence from multiple creditable sources that masks do help. However, I know many of my fellow peers at Lander will not be happy because of their feelings about masks. People will complain, but I think this is a good idea. Lander is also providing reusable masks. Lander is also having a more social distance enforced move-in schedule. We have to select a date and time between August 10th and 16th to pick up our dorm room key and move in.

 

Wednesday: Walmart now requires all customers to wear masks at all locations! I personally believe that this is a good thing. They are a private business and have that right. Plus, it simply is a good step. I wonder if Publix will follow and make masks mandatory by customers. I know a lot of people will not be happy, but from my research I believe that masks work when everyone wears them and that there is enough evidence from credible sources that prove this. I really want to do in depth research on the 1918 Flu Pandemic and compare it to the COVID-19 pandemic. I know that masks were a huge part of that issue back then. I have seen pictures of people from that time wearing mask and holding signs that read ‘Wear masks or go to jail’ or something along those lines. It almost seems like history, as it does of often, is repeating itself. I wonder what other ways both pandemics, and the people who lived during then and now, are comparable. I should really devote more time into this topic.

 

Thursday: Dr. Floyd, who is the new Chair of the Department of History & Philosophy and a professor of mine this coming Fall semester, has sent out an email for an upcoming class of his that I will be taking. Within it, he said that the course will be very flexible, and students will be able to choose either a more relaxed face to face schedule (with social distancing in place), or, be fully online. I decided that I will (most likely) be going in person to the class, because I feel safe enough to do so and prefer in person learning.

 

I got an email from my work today that informed me that someone at my store has tested positive for COVID-19. This has come to a surprise, because that is really “close to home.” However, they did say that I most likely did not come into contact with them, so it is my understanding that they are in another department.

 

Friday: It amazes me how divided our nation is on the mask issue. While almost every other country has their citizens wearing masks to help fight this pandemic, the United States has a large number of its citizens fight against wearing masks. People give the most convoluted reasons to not wear masks too! It is really sad because I know my country could do better. 

 

Saturday: Many stores are starting to require customers to wear masks. I feel that Publix will soon follow. I will give updates later on how that will go if the company decides to do that.

 

Sunday: Nothing to add here.


 

Comments