Sidney Bush Log, August 3 to August 9, 2020

1)      Please describe any significant events that occurred this week and what you think about them

The US reached 160,000 deaths this week, and experts are projecting 300,000 deaths by the end of the year. The percent positive is still well over the recommended 5% or less in South Carolina. It’s been somewhere between 18%-21%. Some K-12 schools that have been opening this week around the country have already had coronavirus cases in students and teachers. I feel so bad for the parents, the kids, and the teachers. Everyone has been put in such a difficult place by this pandemic. People are out of work, and those who can find work are often stuck in jobs where they can’t socially distance and stay safe. So many people are caught between keeping themselves safe from the virus or putting food on the table and paying rent. I was only seven during the 2008 Recession, so I don’t remember it well, but I have been able to see and feel the aftereffects as I’ve gotten older. I think it will be the same in the aftermath of this pandemic which has changed the world socially, financially, politically, and threatened the health of millions.

 

2)      Were there any significant changes between this week and last week?

Lander University is less than one week away from reopening for the Fall semester. It’s almost time to see if it is actually possible to stay safe in a face-to-face environment surrounded by people. All I can do is wear my face mask and keep my fingers crossed.

 


Comments