Sid Bush, August 10 to August 16

1)      Please describe any significant events that occurred this week and what you think about them

The US has passed 160,000 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic. The US has the highest number of cases in the world. The unemployment rate is finally starting to drop again, but it is nowhere near pre-pandemic levels. In the midst of COVID-19, it was incredibly easy to forget that there is going to be a presidential election in November. This will be my first presidential election where I am eligible to vote, and I truly hope governments figure out a way to get mail-in voting to work. I moved to South Carolina from Oregon only a few years ago, and Oregon has used mail-in voting successfully for years. I know there is a way to do this right – the US doesn’t have to reinvent the wheel. Also, as students are returning to school there has been a steady increase of students and teachers testing positive for the coronavirus. I wonder how long school will be able to remain open in these conditions.

 

2)      Were there any significant changes between this week and last week?

I’m back at school now, for as long as it stays open, and I won’t be able to go home on the weekends like my family and I originally planned. Whenever the semester ends, I’m going to do a two-week quarantine at my Nana’s house and she will go stay with my parents in the meantime. Once my quarantine is over, I’ll go home again. This is the longest I have ever been away from home, and I can only be thankful for the technology which will let me call my family. I moved in on Saturday. I wear a face mask every time I leave my dorm room. The dining hall has changed its operations, so customers have to be handed all of their food and drinks – no self-serve. I was surprised to see a server manning the drink fountains, but it makes sense. There are workers wiping down tables, which is similar to how the cafe operated last year. I really appreciate all of the hard work the university has gone to in order to try and make Lander a safe place from COVID-19 and diseases in general. It makes me feel a little safer. Plus, it seems like the majority of students are following the mask policy which also makes me feel better.

 

 

Comments