Maddie Hudlow, April 6 to 12, 2020

Monday

Today I woke up thinking a lot about the future.  I was daydreaming more than normal and I think it’s my brain’s new coping mechanism for being stuck inside.  I spent much time on Zillow, the house website, looking at houses in places I would love to live after graduation in December.  I also had to finish the rough draft of my senior thesis today.  It was really intense but I feel glad to have the first cut of it done and submitted.  My mom and I donated the clothes/books that had been cleaned out of both of our rooms today.  My brother and dad started building some sort of banquette bench for our kitchen table area.  I tried to avoid all coronavirus news today because I feel like it’s all we’ve talked about for a month straight.  It just gets to be exhausting sometimes to hear numbers growing constantly.  Georgia is over 6000 cases and South Carolina is over 2000.  So far our county, Habersham, still only has 2 cases but our surrounding counties seem to be increasing here and there.  Tonight I will resort to using my computer for leisurely purposes until tomorrow when I pick up school and internship assignments again.

 

Tuesday

Today our county’s numbers rose to six.  We found out that two of our Walmart employees have tested positive for COVID-19.  This greatly freaked me out because we just had to go today to pick up stuff for dinner and other items like toothpaste.  While we were at the store we touched as little as possible and maintained a distance from people but it’s terrifying to think employees have tested positive.  I had just completed some yoga and was relaxed, but now my stress is back.  On a positive note, I have been notified I will serve as secretary for our Student Government Association next year, but it seems to pale in comparison to the other news received today.  My mom said we will not be returning to Walmart but how long until an Ingles employee contracts the virus too?

 

Wednesday

This morning we went for a run again and I got on a zoom call with a friend I hadn’t talked to in a while.  Governor Kemp addressed the state of Georgia today, extending the state of emergency to May 13th and he also extended the shelter in place order from April 13th to April 30th.  He has gotten a lot of negative feedback for not shutting down beaches and state parks but his explanation was reassuring.  He said they are monitoring closely and are leaving locations for people to get exercise.  I really like Governor Kemp, he always asks for prayers and I think he’s doing the best he can.  He seems very humble despite some of the criticism he’s received for not being more proactive with this whole thing.  I was thinking about everything today and I realized that nothing is ever a waste.  We might think that we are all stuck at home and what a waste of time when we could be doing x,y, or z.  There is purpose in everything that happens to us and perhaps this is everyone’s time for self-growth and reflection or catching up time.  I don’t know the purpose for this and I might not ever know, but I know God does and I know that it’s best if we can keep as positive as we can.

 

Thursday

Once again, this morning I went with my mom and her friend to work out.  It’s been a good part of my days being able to at least get some fresh air.  My family and I also rode up to Vogel State Park and walked around, within safe social distancing guidelines of course.  There was a lovely waterfall and it felt nice to be there as well.  I had a quiz that I made an 88 on.   I also received notice that I was chosen for a scholarship.  One of my professors told me that it’s essentially a “Spirit of Lander” award.  Hearing this made my day and I was so happy.  Hearing that other people see school spirit in me reminds me how much I miss sweet Lander and sweet Greenwood.  I can’t wait to go back.

 

Friday

Today I sat on my computer all day.  I had some weekly internship assignments to catch up on so I stayed on my couch and computer from 9 am to about 3 pm.  It wasn’t fun but it’s almost a new normal.  We had our roof worked on today and it was kind of funny to watch the roofer communicate with my dad without coming inside.  They stood on opposite sides of the door frame.  The virus really is affecting everyone.  Our county numbers have risen to 12 and we now have one death, but he had underlying health conditions and was 75.  It’s still sad to hear, but I am still hopeful we will see numbers fall back down soon. 

 

Saturday

This morning I exercised again.  My brother’s girlfriend was finally allowed to come over for the first time since all this started so it was nice to engage with people other than my family.  We talked to our pastor and his wife in the driveway some (those are her parents).  As a group, we really just watched tv and ate dinner.  Not much went on.

 

Sunday

HAPPY EASTER! This was a rather uneventful Easter.  We usually go to sunrise service and then to my dad’s parents for lunch but of course, none of that happened today.  We got on a skype call with my grandparents and cousins though, so it was really nice to still talk to them.  My brother and I still get Easter baskets from my mom so we kept that tradition.  Other than that, all we did was watch tv.  I tried to scan some documents needed but I did them wrong so I will have to redo those tomorrow.  There is supposed to be a really bad storm tonight.  The big change today is how little I’ve thought about the virus even though it was a holiday.  It’s the new normal I guess.

 

Comments