Cameron Pate-Addie, August 17 to August 23, 2020

Monday: Classes started back today. Everyone, but a few, seems to be wearing masks on campus. I had only one class today, and that was in-person. My professor wore a face shield. Going to the cafĂ© was very different. There was not much in social distancing, but what can you really do, and I did not mind it. It was very nice being back on campus. I spent the rest of the day preparing my materials and reading syllabuses. Ready to see what this semester will bring!   

 

Tuesday: Today, I have only fully online classes. My first one was at 9:30 this morning and it was my first experience with Blackboard Collaborate (which is a service like Zoom that my class can meet on). We had a lot of issues, but overall I think that once the kinks are worked out it will be perfectly fine.

 

Wednesday: Made it to Wednesday. Classes are going well, and I got to say that I missed learning and being here at college. However, one thing I am feeling is sometimes a little lonely. Among personal reasons are to be apart of that, but also (while I know fellow students can all meet up) it is a little sad that I do not see as many of my peers from since freshman year in class as much; because most are online. Regardless, I believe the University is doing a great job of protecting its students and should keep it up. I have noticed more students not wearing masks, but that is just how it is for some.

 

Thursday: Today I had only online classes. So, in between my virtual classes, I went to the mall in Greenville with my girlfriend. It has been awhile since we have gone, I think since before the pandemic started. It was less busy than usual, and the food court especially was different. Less seating was provided and less foot traffic around.

 

Friday: The first week of the semester is finished! It has been interesting, but I am very happy to be back at Lander. Nevertheless, we will just have to see if we end up staying all semester or if we’ll have to go home early. I have professors and even the President of Lander sent out an email addressing the issue. Basically, the University has done everything it can do. So, if we have to close down or stay open, that responsibility falls on the students of Lander. That means we got to be smart about having parties and such. 

 

Saturday: Nothing to add here.

 

Sunday: Someone at the Publix in Greenwood caught COVID. I got the email from my company this morning. This is the second employee from one of the two Publix stores I work at to get infected with COVID-19. I did not come into contact though, because I have not started back at work yet. Another instance of the virus coming close to home.

Comments