Sidney Bush, July 20 to July 26, 2020

1)     Please describe any significant events that occurred this week and what you think about them

The US has eclipsed more than 4 million cases this week. South Carolina is still averaging about 1,500 new cases each day. School districts are scrambling – trying to figure out how to get kids back in the classroom without causing a spike in cases and deaths. I feel like I have become so desensitized to the news over the course of this pandemic. This is the scariest thing I have ever been through, and there are days when it feels like it will never end, even though I know it will. I can only continue to count my blessings that no one close to me has contracted the virus. I’ve been informed that a couple cousins I have never met before have it, and one is recovering but the other one seems to be taking a turn for the worst. Even though I don’t know them personally, my Dad was close to them when he was young and I can tell it scares him. I’ve never seen my parents genuinely scared before, at least, not right in front of me. In a way, it helps to know that I am not the only one struggling with the fear, the isolation, and the loneliness, but I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I really miss people. I’m going back to school in the fall, which I am excited about, but this casts a bit of a shadow over everything. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to return; I just hope it’s the right thing to do.

 

2)     Were there any significant changes between this week and last week?

The President has started to promote mask wearing which is good. It has become such a polarizing debate in the US over whether or not retailers and governments can enforce mask wearing in their stores and cities/states. Some people have been getting into fistfights or pulling guns on store employees who try to tell them to wear masks. As someone who has worked retail, I would not feel safe if I had to enforce mask policy.

 

Comments