Evelyn Clark, May 4 to May 10, 2020

Monday: May 4, 2020

           Today was my last exam for my spring semester, and looking back, this experience has been quite good for my grades. I do not like being at home while doing my work, though it has some advantages. I have talked about this before but being able to space out and plan my lectures and assignments is fantastic, and I feel that it allows me to understand the material more and internalize it from the get-go. All-day, I was organizing al my material for my sociology exam, which was the one exam that terrified me. I understand sociology, and I don’t necessarily have a bad grade in the class. Still, sociology is so vague for me, and I usually get my reassurance when we do our in-class study guide review. We used to do that before every test, and I would fill out the study guide to the max and usually stay after class to clarify my train of thought on some of the matters. Now that we are online, I don’t get that anymore, and maybe that is due to being able to use your notes on the test. I just finished taking it, and it took me two hours of questioning myself on the matters.

           On another note, due to Mother’s Day coming up, my grandparents have allowed for my sisters and me to go back home for the weekend. They told us this morning that since places are opening and they are going out a little more frequently for groceries or necessities, then what is the difference of us going home for a bit. I have been in quarantine for about fifty days and have not seen my mother since Easter. Of course, they are quite precautious still and order us to never go out without our mask on, and when we come back, we basically must go through a series of precautions in order to go back into the house.

 

Tuesday: May 5, 2020

           The first day without class, and yet I am still in quarantine. When I get very stressed out over schoolwork my room usually accumulates to an untidy mess so after all my exams were done my room needed some TLC. So, after playing Skyrim for maybe a bit too long. I left my game to Marcy and started cleaning out my book and record player cabinet. I probably have a little too many books in my collection, and though I love them, and some are very old quarantine has allowed me to decipher if I need to keep something or not. Most to all my books are about Golden Hollywood History and every year for Christmas or my birthday I get a book pertaining to that concept. Some of them are general history novels like the assassination of John F Kennedy or information on the founding fathers and others are my old nursing books from years of planning to become one. I pretty much am giving away all of them except for one just because it one of my favorite TV shows and it is a period piece. Then it came to my record rack where I collect all my favorite records. Usually, once to twice a month, I have a cleaning day for all of them cause some of them are valuable, but since quarantine, I have slacked tremendously. So today was not only to give away the ones I don’t necessarily need but also have duty cleaning of all of them. This whole process took 3 hours, and it was so lovely to get it done finally.

 

Wednesday: May 6, 2020

           I only crave certain foods when I am not able to get it. I had two missions today, one of them was to order sushi and or get carry out, and the other is to get Marcy to try ramen for the first time. So that very morning, I threw my sisters in the car, and we set out with masks and all. We went to Walmart first to get Marcy some ramen. This has been the first time in fifty something days that I have been to a grocery store, and for me, it was slightly terrifying. I never thoughts, I would say that, but you become hyper-aware. Since places are opening again, it seems that everyone perceives that the virus is over. To me, Walmart was relatively packed, half of the people not wearing masks nor abiding by social distancing rules. I felt odd wearing a mask; I felt as if people looked at me like I was a hypochondriac for believing in this virus and the dangers of it. Quarantine and this pandemic have very much made me paranoid and claustrophobic when going into places. The sushi place I usually pick up at was not doing carry out and just delivery (my house in Hodges is too far away), so we ran into Publix to get some there. They had someone at the entrance wiping down the carts and handing them to you, everyone in there was social distancing, and in front of the cashier, they had a glass wall to limit contact. All of these lessened my anxiety, but again it was still there and did not stop me from getting into the car and sanitizing my hands.

 

Thursday: May 7, 2020

I have an older sister named Ava; I usually don’t talk about her much because she is nocturnal and sleeps during the day. Today though, I had a terrific conversation with her, which put me at a lot of thought and brought me some laughter in this dreary time. I think all night, she reads articles and conspiracy theories because when she and I were talking, she noted the theory that Kim Jong-Un actually died during heart surgery. The North Korean government has deployed a doppelganger from China to take on his identity as head of North Korea. I do not know how much of that I believe, but it was quite interesting to hear. The next concepts we were discussing were the cures and what this virus is doing to people, mostly kids. Trump has been quoted on saying that people should inject bleach inside of them to help get rid of or prevent the virus; some sources say it was sarcasm. Nevertheless, reports sprung up afterward of people calling poison control about how to administer it or that people had already harmed themselves in the process. Trump also added the notion of using UV Light inside the lungs or body to eradicate the virus. Before switching majors, I was in nursing, and in nursing, you must take microbiology, and before that, I was trained as an EMT, so viruses are something I know a tad about or at least how they work. Some may say that the UV light thing is ridiculous, but it has a slight amount of truth in it. UV light is used for the elimination go anthrax, though anthrax is a bacterium and not a virus, UV light allows for the DNA in the bacterium to form a sort of knot and inhibit it from replicating. Now I do not know if this method works on viruses because of the complexity of viruses as well as how that would affect the human body, but I am interested to see what is going to be the end of this virus. Will it be a vaccine, procedure, or will we ever find anything? Viruses are like ghosts, they are not living, nor do they contain cells. They purely live to infect or possess your cells. Once they do possess your cells before they leave, it alters a part of your genetic programming. Therefore, when people get the chickenpox, there is a chance of them getting shingles when older—saying that I wonder how this virus is going to change people if it is in anyway? Later down the road, is there going to be a genetic mutation or aftermath of the virus on the body that is going to cause more problems?

 

Friday: May 8, 2020

           I got to be with my mom today. I am a mama’s girl and spending this long in quarantine without able to see her or even hug her has been hard. My sisters and I made this huge card and brought her cakes and pastries, and when we get home, Marcy and I were crying so much and hugging her nonstop, but we decided to let her pick out what we do for Mother’s Day weekend. So, at her request, we ordered pizza, watched old testament bible stories, and watched way too many lifetime movies.

 

Saturday and Sunday, May 9 and 10, 2020

           Honestly, these two days were similar and only consisted of watching movies and bible stories with my mom. Some may see that as dull, but for some reason, we always have a good time watching those things. My mom also showed her the toilet paper that she ordered from amazon without looking at the size of them, and when they arrived, they were like the baby version of standard toilet paper. I also seem to think that my mom has been miserable without us because she and my dad work very long hours and usually have no time to cook or clean. Still, when Marcy and I are there, we take up that domesticated work, so as a result, for the last fifty days or so, my parents have been surviving off microwavable meals or delivery. My mom had her first homemade meal when we go there, and I think she was delighted that for this weekend, it felt as if our daily life was normal and not precautionary.



1)     How are things going for you?

For me in general as any other week things are doing good, there is just a lot of confusion when thinking about the world and outside.

 

2)     Describe your work, noting if there was anything of particular interest:

 

3)     Has anything changed since the previous week? If so what? How do you think and/or feel about these changes?

I do not feel as if we should open the stores yet but saying that much there are so many people unemployed, food banks are running low, and overnumbered with the need to help the people. I am honestly confused about where I stand in the matter. I want people to stay safe, and I don’t know when this is going to end, so I ask is this quarantine helping people or is it hurting people. I say this  because in this last week stores have opened un in the surrounding town and people are going. Some are wearing masks, and others are not.

 

4)     Have you been following local news about COVID-19 or other important stories? If so, what developments were there? What did learn about these events make you think and/or feel?

 

5)     Have you been following national or international news about COVID-19 or other important stories? If so, what developments were there? What did learn about these events make you think and/or feel?

There is a town in Nebraska, if I remember correctly, that has had no cases of COVID-19 because they have been so strict about the social distancing and quarantine. They said that anyone that comes into the town they are going to treat as if they had the virus and that persons would ultimately have to self-isolate for 14 days. My grandparents were praising them for that they have done, and I do think that they have done what was necessary and safe for themselves and their community. Still, when my family started comparing that town to places like New York, then it becomes unrealistic. They talked about how New York should have done it like that, which I told them that no, that is unrealistic. Comparing a medium-sized town in Nebraska to New York City is outrageous. To do what that town did in Nebraska, would be extreme micromanagement in New York. The state cannot stand accountable and make people participate in self-isolation. They can do their best and make a great effort but not to the magnitude when compared to that Nebraskan town.


Comments