Evelyn Clark, April 20 to April 26, 2020

Monday: April 20, 2020

Today was a grocery day, so when I woke up, we all met my grandma in the garage for the procedure. She sets up a table in the middle of the garage, and when she takes out the products from the bag, she Lysol them down, and wipes them with disinfectant. My sisters, my grandpa, and I stand at the door until they are dry, then with our mask on, we make our way into the house with the products to put up. This is a very long process, but we are all trying to stay healthy, so every last thing is disinfectant, and when we all are done, we all wash our hands like madmen.

 

Tuesday: April 21, 2020

My grandparents are feeling the cabin fever more than myself, so they have been trying to figure out ways we can all go out without contact with many people, and one of those ideas was going to a strawberry patch. So, my grandma, Marcy, and I got dressed and put on our mask and headed on our way. It was about a 40-minute drive to the patch. The whole journey I started asking myself, is this going to be how life is now? Am I going to have to wear a mask for the rest of my life? Keep my distance from the world to stay safe? I needed that long drive away from the house, and I saw a lot of the countryside of Hodges that I didn’t know existed. When we finally got to the strawberry patch, it was closed, so that was interesting.

 

Wednesday: April 22, 2020

Another good thing about online school is you can cry during a lecture, and no one can see. I have started section my days into subjects. Organizing it like this day, I’ll do all my history assignments, this day, I will do all my sociology, and this day I’ll do all my humanities. I found this to better than doing assignments in order of my old class times. Today was my history day, and so all day, I was doing study guides, tasks, and lectures. For my history classes, I barely see them as work, and for me, it mostly fun and an immense joy to me. The last lecture I listen to was on the civil war for my American history class, and Dr. Ramsey read us a letter of a Union soldier to his wife before the Battle of Bull Run, and I cried! The worst part was Marcy was there in my room when I started crying, and now, I know I’ll never hear the end of it from her.

 

Thursday: April 23, 2020

I was doing mostly work today getting ready for my finals, but I decided to take a break and show my grandpa and Marcy the movie Pleasantville (very good movie by the way).

 

Friday: April 24, 2020

There is such a thing as schoolwork and busy-body work. Luckily today, I had busy-body work, which is like work were you just need to do it without studying to paying full attention. For me, that was organizing and making all my study guides for my sociology class. With busy-body work, I can listen to music and do other things while still having my primary train of thought on my work. So, Marcy and I sat in my room, switching off music and getting things done. Most of the day and night was like this. But I got to facetime my fiancé for the first time in a month, his ship was docked for a day, and he got enough signal for us to talk, which was the most fantastic thing I could ask for during this time.

 

Saturday: April 25, 2020

Sadly, I had a migraine today and all I really got done was an apple pie ad some of my schoolwork done. From there on I was curled up in my bed.

 

Sunday: April 26, 2020

My plans for today were to finish my sociology paper. Surprisingly, I did just that in a small matter of time, and so I was left with the boredom of quarantine again. Quarantine would not be so bad is the lake water was warm, nut since the last few days were really sunny and warm, I hoped that it had warmed up the lake and I can spend the rest of my day out in the water. Marcy and I got into our bathing suits, packing sunscreen, rackets, and a speaker. We finally go to the lake, and at first, we were so surprised how warm it was, but as you slowly got deeper into the water, both of us started shivering. Marcy and I decided to make the most of it anyway and went back up to the house and turned on the sprinklers and played badminton. We were outside for hours, and by the end of it, we were just hitting each other with rackets acting like we were sword fighting.


1)     How are things going for you?

I haven’t figured out if this precaution is going to stay our normal or not. The quarantine has not been bad with school online because most of my days revolve around my work. Once classes are done, I feel that this is going to become unbearable.

 

2)     Describe your work, noting if there was anything of particular interest:

 

3)     Has anything changed since the previous week? If so what? How do you think and/or feel about these changes?

 

4)     Have you been following local news about COVID-19 or other important stories? If so, what developments were there? What did learn about these events make you think and/or feel?

The governor is going to start opening restaurants and other non-essentials slowly as long as those places take into account the social distancing rules. Because of this, I fear that my older sister, Ava, who has been living with us, will soon have to go back to Greenville into the hot bed of the virus.

 

5)     Have you been following national or international news about COVID-19 or other important stories? If so, what developments were there? What did learn about these events make you think and/or feel?

Georgia at the moment has the worst amount of cases in the south and some of my family lives there. The governor of the state, like South Carolina, are starting to open up non-essential businesses and places in Atlanta. The mayor of Atlanta is furious about this because most of the deaths and cases are in that city. I do not understand why we are open these places when the doctors are saying that the worst is not going to hit till May, and we are not at the height of the bell curve. Until we flatten the curve we shouldn’t open up because if they do, they are only making the workers and there family at risk.

 


Comments